The reason behind the ribbon...
This webpage was created to educate volunteers, donors, grantees and the general public by providing in-depth, honest and useful information regarding how your donation of time, talents and dollars are a worthwhile investment into our community and the promise to end breast cancer forever.
Much of the public believes that all pink ribbons are the same, but this is not true. Please read below to learn how the Central Florida Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is different and how your donation, no matter how large or small can be a part of big change.
For the 2008-2009 year, of the Central Florida Affiliate's budget of over $900,000, nearly $480,000 went to local breast health education, breast cancer screening and treatment programs and over $172,000 went to national breast cancer research.
Local Grant Programs
- 75% of grant funds stay in the Central Florida area for local breast health education and breast cancer screening programs.
- Komen Central Florida grant funds are restricted to breast cancer programs to not-for-profit organizations. For a list of all Komen Central Florida 2009-2010 grantees, please visit our grants page.
- Every two years, we assess our community needs in regards to breast cancer. In 2009, our three gaps were screening, diagnostic testing and education. For additional information, please review our complete community profile.
- Our Affiliate operates daily through grassroots volunteers with a limited paid staff of 1.
- 15 board members, who create and follow a strategic plan based on our mission.
- 40+ Race for the Cure committee members, the Central Florida Race for the Cure, a largest annual fundraiser, is entirely volunteer-run.
- 500+ grassroots volunteers who assist on-site at events, secure donations of goods or services, and help do whatever is needed!
- Interested in general volunteering or being a leader, volunteer TODAY!
Charity Navigator Four-Star Rating for THIRD year in a rowDedicated to Breast Cancer Only
Charity Navigator is the premier independent charity evaluator who rates charities by evaluating two broad areas of financial health, their organizational efficiency and their organizational capacity. Charity Navigator ratings show givers how efficiently they believe a charity will use a donor’s support today, and to what extent the charities are growing their programs and services over time. They provide these ratings so that givers can make intelligent giving decisions, and so that the philanthropic community can more effectively monitor itself.
For more information on Susan G. Komen for the Cure's Charity Navigator's rating, please visit this link.
- As a predominately grassroots volunteer organization, we know we can’t be all things to all people. Our organizational success is based on volunteers giving their time and talent to be leaders. Thus, we address one cancer...breast cancer. We take one cause and fight it to the best of our ability. Our volunteers are united and passionate because breast cancer has touched their lives at some point to someone they care about.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest private funder of breast cancer research and community health programs. With more than $1.3 billion invested to date, Komen for the Cure is moving ahead with its commitment to invest $2 billion by the year 2017.
- Every major advance in the fight against breast cancer has been touched by Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
- Susan G. Komen has helped train more than 400 breast cancer researchers and funded more than 1,800 research projects over the past 26 years.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure's goal is to energize science to find the cures.